Living in the age of streaming, everyone was very optimistic years ago as streaming services were booming and subscriptions were increasing massively, globally! Although, like predicted, due to the “streaming wars” competition between the services, streaming services are beginning to struggle with keeping up subscriber counts without overspending on new content. As a result of the streaming wars, some content has begun to disappear from a few services leaving fans furious – including Paramount+.
Let’s get into it!
Paramount+ originally launched in 2021, as a re-brand of the original CBS All Access streaming service with its brands CBS, Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central and Smithsonian included within the app as separate hubs. Months later in 2022, Paramount+ re-launched as a bundle known as “Paramount+ with Showtime,” similar to the Disney Bundle, providing fans with content from both Paramount and Showtime brands. Although, as some have predicted some consequences would eventually arise from this new merger.
And yet again after the temporary bundle, Paramount recently announced that the service will re-launch on Tuesday, June 27, with Showtime now included. Showtime will be joining brands such as Paramount, CBS, Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, Comedy Central and Smithsonian. Which is great but… unfortunately it comes with some losses.
This week, Paramount officially announced content removals, including several new and beloved original series, which will be used as tax write-offs before the Showtime merger, similar to Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery. Down below, I have list some of the content that will be leaving on Tuesday, but please keep in mind that this list is still unofficial and still may change. More content will be leaving in the next few weeks, with Paramount to release an official list soon.
- Blood & Treasure (Season 2)
- The Fairly OddParents: Fairly Odder (Season 1) **Removed in January 2023
- Fantasy Football (2022)
- From Cradle to Stage (Miniseries)
- Ghislaine: Partner in Crime (Miniseries)
- Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies (Season 1)
- Guilty Party (Season 1) **Removed in January 2023
- Inside Amy Schumer (Season 5)
- Snow Day (2022)
- Star Trek: Prodigy (Season 1)
- Tell Me a Story (Seasons 1-2)
- The Game (Seasons 1-2)
- Queen of the Universe (Seasons 1-2)
All four shows have been cancelled by the service and are being removed on Tuesday, with the exception of Queen of the Universe which will be leaving the streaming service on June 30 due to its recent season just wrapping up last week. In addition, it was announced that Star Trek: Prodigy will continue production on its second season, but it isn’t known where it will premiere as the series is being removed from Paramount+, and Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies is being shopped to other networks by Paramount Television.
- Star Trek: Discovery – Ending After Season 5 in 2024.
- Queen of the Universe
Library Content Removed:
- All in with Cam Newton (Season 1)
- Allegra’s Window (Seasons 1-3)
- Becca’s Bunch (Season 1)
- Bella and the Bulldogs (Seasons 1-2)
- Crashletes (Seasons 1-3)
- Digby Dragon (Seasons 1-2)
- The Fresh Beat Band (Seasons 1-3)
- The Halo Effect
- Legendary Dudas (Season 1)
- Monsters vs. Aliens (Season 1)
- Mutt & Stuff (Seasons 1-2)
- Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn (Seasons 1-4)
- Peter Rabbit (Seasons 1-2)
- Pig Goat Banana Cricket (Seasons 1-2)
- Ride (Season 1)
- The Troop (Seasons 1-2)
The good news is, a Paramount+ executive has confirmed that some series may transfer to temporary free services such as Tubi or Freevee, among others. What are your thoughts on this unexpected announcement of removals? Let me know in the comment section down below!
If you enjoyed today’s blog and would like to stay up-to-date with the latest entertainment news, please follow me on Instagram @mattsworldofentertainment and Twitter @mattsworldofet. As always, thanks for reading and I hope to see you all again real soon!