Every few years, Star Wars Celebration is held in the United States to celebrate the Star Wars franchise with new promotions, announcements, trailers and talk show segments. This year, the event ran from April 7-10, 2023. Lucasfilm confirmed and announced several exciting projects! Are you ready to recap these announcements?
Let’s get into it!
- Ahsoka – During Lucasfilm’s Studio Showcase, Kathleen Kennedy and Dave Filoni announced that Ahsoka, a brand new spin-off of The Mandalorian, will premiere on Disney+ in August 2023.
- The Acolyte – During Lucasfilm’s Studio Showcase, Kathleen Kennedy also confirmed that The Acolyte will premiere on Disney+ in 2024.
- Andor – During the Andor panel, creatives confirmed that filming on season 2 will end in August, with plans for Andor Season 2 to premiere on Disney+ in August 2024, hopefully.
- Lando – At SWC 2023, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Lando, a Solo: A Star Wars Story spin-off, is still “in the works” and will premiere on Disney+.
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi – At SWCE 2023, creator and executive producer of the series Dave Filoni confirmed during an exclusive panel that Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi has been renewed for season 2 on Disney+.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – At SWCE 2023, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Obi-Wan Kenobi season 2 isn’t in “active development,” however, could still happen “later down the road.” It was also confirmed that Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen are on board to return.
- Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures – At the screening panel, it was confirmed that the Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures series is releasing on Star Wars Day, May 4, 2023 on both Disney Junior and Disney+.
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – At the Bad Batch panel, the cast and crew looked back at the first two seasons and announced that the series has been renewed for a third and final season on Disney+!
- Star Wars: Visions – At this weekend’s event, it was confirmed that Volume 2 of Star Wars: Visions is releasing on Star Wars Day, May 4, 2023.
- Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny – During Lucasfilm’s Studio Showcase, Kathleen Kennedy and James Mangold showcased a new trailer for the upcoming and final installment of the Indiana Jones franchise to guests at the SWCE event.
- 3 New Star Wars Films – During Lucasfilm’s Studio Showcase, Kathleen Kennedy announced that three new Star Wars films are in the works, one directed by James Mangold, another directed by Dave Filoni, and the final film directed by Academy Award and Emmy Award-winning director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. It is important to note that other Star Wars films are also in the works from Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson, although were never confirmed during Lucasfilm’s Studio Showcase panel.
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s film will be set 15 years after the events of “The Rise of Skywalker,” featuring Daisy Ridley as Rey, as she builds a new Jedi Order.
- Dave Filoni’s film will focus on the New Republic, concluding the interconnected “Mandoverse” stories told within the Disney+ series The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka. This will be Dave Filoni’s first live-action Star Wars film, as he previously worked on The Clone Wars, The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka prior to this new film.
- James Mangold’s film will focus on “the dawn of the Jedi.” He previously worked on the final Indiana Jones film, “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.”
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron – During an interview, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Rogue Squadron isn’t officially canceled, however, may the storyline may reworked in the future, whether this be a new film or Disney+ series.
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Re-Release – During SWCE 2023 panel, creatives announced that as part of the Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary, the film will be re-released in select theaters April 28-May 4 in the US, and April 28-May 1 in the UK. Other international releases have not been announced yet.
Disney Parks & Experiences
- Star Wars: Star Tours Update! – During the SWCE 2023 Disney Parks panel, imagineers announced that the iconic Star Tours attractions at Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Disneyland Paris will be getting a long-awaited upgrade! This upgrade will take guests to new locations within the Star Wars universe based on the upcoming Disney+ series The Mandalorian, Ahsoka, The Acolyte, and Skeleton Crew. This upgrade will arrive in 2024.
These are all the announcements announced at this year’s SWCE, with more announcements to come in the future! If you enjoyed today’s blog and would like to stay up-to-date with the latest entertainment news, please follow me on Instagram @mattsworldofentertainment and Twitter @mattsworldofet. As always, thank you for reading and I hope to see you all real soon!
Photo Courtesy: Lucasfilm