On December 8, Disney+ has finally launched the long-awaited ad tier in the United States, which will provide more opportunities to consumers, now offering two tiers.
Let’s get into it!
There are now two tiers being offered to users, the new ‘Disney+ Basic’ and ‘Disney+ Premium.’
Disney+ Premium is the ad-free version of Disney+, the same tier provided since launch in 2019. However, the price of the premium version has been increased by $3.00 USD/month, to $10.99 per month. The two greatest benefits of using the Disney+ Premium plan are that you can download any content for on-the-go streaming and watch the entire library ad-free.
Disney+ Basic is the ad-based version of Disney+, the newer version that just launched on December 8. The basic version is priced at $7.99 USD/month, with some differences from the premium version. Users using the basic plan have certain limitations such as no content downloads, nor any access to GroupWatch, SharePlay and Dolby Atmos on any devices. This version will feature four minutes of adverts per hour, with ads mainly aimed at younger audiences.
Here is the current comparison of both versions:
Disney+ Plan Comparison:
- $7.99 USD/Month
- Ads Included
- No Downloads to watch on-the-go
- No Access to GroupWatch or SharePlay
- No Access to Dolby Atmos
- $10.99 USD/Month
- Ad-Free Streaming
- Downloads to watch on-the-go
- GroupWatch & SharePlay Included
- Dolby Atmos Included
Features Both Have:
- Exclusive Originals and Library Content
- Concurrent Viewing (Multiple Devices)
- High Quality Video Formats (4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision, IMAX Enhanced and other)
Streaming Pricing Comparison:
- Disney+ Basic – $7.99 USD/Month (With Ads)
- Disney+ Premium – $10.99 USD/Month (No Ads)
The Disney Bundle:
- Basic: Disney+ & Hulu – $9.99 USD/Month (With Ads)
- Basic: Disney+, Hulu & ESPN+ – $12.99 USD/Month (With Ads)
- Legacy: Disney+ (No Ads), Hulu & ESPN+ (With Ads)
- Premium: Disney+ & Hulu (No Ads), ESPN+ (With Ads)
The launch of the ad tier combined some of the world’s most beloved stories, characters, brands and technologies providing users with the best personalized experience possible! This was made possible by partnering with the best roster of advertisers from all major agency holding companies worldwide. With plans to launch the ad tier internationally in 2023, hopefully this idea proves to be successful!
If you enjoyed today’s blog and would like to stay up-to-date with the latest entertainment news, please follow me on Instagram @mattsworldofentertainment and Twitter @mattsworldofet. As always, have a great day and I hope to see you all again real soon!