Every few years, Star Wars Celebration is held in the United States to celebrate the Star Wars franchise with new promotions, announcements, trailers and talk show segments. This year, the event ran from May 26-May 29, 2022. Lucasfilm confirmed and announced several exciting projects! Are you ready to recap these announcements?
Let’s get into it!
- Andor (S1) – SWC2022 kicked off with a panel about streaming, showcasing many upcoming Star Wars projects coming in 2022 and 2023. Diego Luna confirmed the series is set to premiere on August 31, 2022 and Season 2 Confirmed.
- Willow (S1) – The long-awaited continuation based on the 1988 film Willow, the series will showcase some faces old and new, and will premiere on November 30, 2022.
- The Mandalorian (S3) – Along with Andor and Willow, The Mandalorian was confirmed to return early next year with a release window of February 2023. On May 28, Jon Faverau confirmed that a fourth season is in development.
- Ahsoka (S1) – Jon Faverau and Dave Filoni confirmed a 2023 release for the second Mandalorian spin-off.
- Skeleton Crew (S1) – This series is being directed by Jon Watts (Spider-Man) and has been referred to the code name “Grammer Radio” since February 2022. On May 26, at SWC2022 the series was officially titled Skeleton Crew with Jude Law set to star as a leading role. It was confirmed to premiere in 2023.
- LEGO Star Wars: Summer Vacation – On May 27, at SWC2022, Lucasfilm unexpectedly announced a new addition to the LEGO Star Wars series of specials titled “Summer Vacation.” The special is set to premiere on August 5, 2022.
- Young Jedi Adventures (S1) – On May 27, at SWC2022, Lucasfilm announced that a brand new animated series set in the High Republic era will premiere on Disney+ and Disney Junior in Early 2023. This new series will follow younglings as they study the ways of the force and become Jedi.
- Tales of the Jedi (S1) – On May 28, at SWC Day 3, guest Dave Filoni took the stage to confirm the release of the long-awaited and rumored series for Disney+. Tales of the Jedi, a series of anthology shorts focused on the prequel era will premiere in Fall 2022.
- The Bad Batch (S2) – Fans of this group of clones will have to wait only a little longer to see them back on the small screen, as today Lucasfilm officially announced season 2 will premiere in Fall 2022.
- Visions (S2) – On May 29, a second volume of Star Wars Visions shorts was announced to premiere in Early 2023.
- Indiana Jones 5 – A special look at the untitled Indiana Jones 5 film was shown at the Star Wars Celebration by Harrison Ford.
- Untitled Taika Waititi Star Wars Film – At SWC2022, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy had confirmed to the press that Taika Waititi’s Star Wars film is slated to release in Late 2023, replacing Patty Jenkin’s Rogue Squadron release.
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron – Patty Jenkin’s Rogue Squadron was originally slated for a December 2022 release, then got delayed until December 23, 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Originally in pre-production, Rogue Squadron has been delayed due to Patty Jenkin’s current involvement in Wonder Woman 3.
- Rian Johnson Sequel Trilogy – Lucasfilm’s President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that due to Rian Johnson’s current involvement in the successful Knives Out franchise, until he is finished with those 3 projects, the sequel trilogy is on hold.
There are reportedly several projects in development from Lucasfilm including films from Kevin Fiege (Iron Man, The Avengers, etc.), Rian Johnson (Knives Out), among others. Kathleen Kennedy hinted at the fact that more Star Wars theatrical news will be released in the future, more likely hinting some big announcements are set for the D23 Expo in September.
We had so much to highlight with the new television that we have coming. We’re going to have plenty of time to showcase in the same way what we’re doing in the movie space. We’re all really excited with where that’s going. – Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm
- Star Wars Jedi Survivor – A new video game continuing the next chapter of Cal Kestis’ journey, previously told in Star Wars Fallen Order. The new video game is set to be released by EA sometime in 2023.
These are all the announcements announced at this year’s SWC, with more announcements to come in the future! If you enjoyed today’s blog, please follow me on Instagram @mattsworldofentertainment and Twitter @mattsworldofet for more entertainment news. As always, thank you for reading and I hope to see you all real soon!
Photo Courtesy: Lucasfilm