Photo Courtesy: Florida Today;
Over the past few months, Disney has been very busy updating attractions, creating new scenery, adding new changes, refurbishing attractions and introducing new shows in preparation for the 50th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Resort. In of my previous blogs I was going over some of the current changes at the Disney World park, and for fans that really enjoyed that blog you’re in luck because today you are receiving a long awaited part 2!
Let’s get into it!
WDW 50th Anniversary Changes
- Epcot Overhaul – The Epcot theme park’s overhaul was one of the main additions and changes to the Walt Disney World resort in preparation for the 50th Anniversary. Themed lands such as the Play! Pavilion, Ratatouille themed French Pavilion expansion, walk through water attraction inspired by Moana, and the Guardians of the Galaxy themed area and the Spaceship Earth pavilion expansion and changes are some of the major planned additions to the park. Many other additions include the Crêperie in the France Pavilion, Regal Eagle Smokehouse in the American Pavilion, Canada Far and Wide show in the Canadian Pavilion, China 360° show in the China Pavilion, the Beauty and the Beast show in the France Pavilion, the Ratatouille attraction in the France Pavilion, the Space 220 restaurant in the Mission Space pavilion, a Mary Poppins attraction in the U.K. Pavilion, new Mouse Gear store and the refurbished park entry area. Although, some attractions were delayed or cancelled completely by the Walt Disney Company due to the company’s budget and coronavirus restrictions.
- Cinderella Castle Refurbishment – The Cinderella Castle has needed attention for several years since the sun has bleached and faded the original colors of the castle. The castle was repainted in 2020 with some new tones of grays and blues along with some beautiful gold trims. I just think it’s a nice touch and the castle has never looked better!
- Magic Kingdom Additions – The Magic Kingdom hasn’t had any new additions for several years, however, it is expected to receive a new Tron: Lightcycle Run rollercoaster attraction located in Tomorrowland in 2021 or early 2022. The Adventureland and Tomorrowland areas have also received small aesthetic changes and refurbishments but nothing unexpected!
- WDW Resort Entry Sign Refurbishments – The classic Walt Disney World Resort entry signs displaying Mickey and Minnie Mouse could always be seen when first driving into the resort painted with a blue, yellow, green, red, and white color scheme. They were painted in late 2020 through early 2021 an have a gray stone, gold, and dark blue color scheme now. The color scheme matches the colors of the Cinderella castle. The Magic Kingdom ticket booths and entry sign were also painted the name color.
- Tomorrowland Refurbishments – The Tomorrowland themed area has been receiving multiple refurbishments and changes since 2018. Since the year of 2018, many space themed boulders in front of the land were removed, The steampunk themed railings were removed and replaced with a modern slick railing theme instead, many of the walls were repainted into bright neon colors, the Tomorrowland Speedway was refurbished and repainted, and the Tomorrowland People Mover attraction was closed for refurbishment and will reopen to guests sometime in 2021.
- Hollywood Studios Additions – Since 2018, the Hollywood Studios theme park has had many additions such as the Toy Story Land area, StarWars: Galaxy’s Edge themed lands, and the Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction. The Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction opened in 2020 and is a cartoon train ride that comes to life when you are in the train! You meet several characters and go through many different scenes along the journey of Mickey and Minnie getting to the park. The StarWars: Galaxy’s Edge area opened to the public with a Millennium Falcon attraction and the Rise of Resistance attraction. This land also opened with character meet and greets, several restaurants/beverage stations, and a light saber building area. However, Toy Story Land opened to the public with the Slinky Dog Dash rollercoaster, Toy Story Mania!, and an Alien Swirling Saucer’s attraction. Toy Story Land will also it’s first receive a sit down restaurant sometime in 2021.
If you enjoyed today’s blog please leave a comment down below and feel free to follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Instatrav1 and @worldtravelwithmatt. You can also subscribe to our weekly newsletter and bookmark my page to your desktop! Have a great day and I hope to see you all real soon!